1. American Girl: American Girl’s retail stores,will be closed on Thanksgiving.
2. Barnes and Nobel: Closed on Thanksgiving day.
3. BJ’s: All BJ’s Clubs will open on Black Friday, November 28, at 7 a.m. all Clubs are closing at 10 p.m. For some Clubs this is an hour later than usual.
4. Burlington: Burlington, no longer Burlington Coat Factory, will remain closed on Thanksgiving, like it has over the last several years. Stores will be open from 7 a.m on Black Friday.
5. Costco: Though Costco has some additional hours in the weeks leading up to Christmas, the warehouse will be closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, as usual.
6. Crate and Barrel: The furniture and lifestyle brand has closed its doors on Thanksgiving since the company was founded in 1962.
Black Friday National Retailers Store Hours
Best Buy: Best Buy will open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving. Nearly all of Best Buy’s 1,000 stores in 47 states will remain open until 1 a.m. on Friday. Stores will reopen at 8 a.m. Friday and close at 10 p.m. that day.
Costco: Costco warehouses will be closed on Thanksgiving, but they have the autonomy to be open earlier (not later) than usual on Black Friday. Most locations will be open 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. this Friday.
Burlington: Formerly Burlington Coat Factory, Burlington will be closed on Thanksgiving and open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday.
Dillard’s: Dillard’s will be closed on Thanksgiving and open on Friday at 8 a.m.
GameStop: GameStop will be closed on Thanksgiving but open at 12:01 a.m. on Black Friday.
JCPenney: Many JCPenney stores will be open on 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day until 10 p.m. on Friday.
Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores: Jo-Ann stores will open at 6 a.m. on Black Friday, after being closed on Thanksgiving. For the first time, stores will open at 6 a.m. Wednesday, too.
If all else fails…Call the Butterball Hotline!
The experts “Butterball” turkey cookers are available to answer your questions by phone, online chat and email. If you need to talk turkey! 1-800-BUTTERBALL (1-800-288-8372).
Fun Facts about Turkeys
- The average weight of a turkey purchased at Thanksgiving is 15 pounds.
- The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 pounds, about the size of a large dog.
- A 15 pound turkey usually has about 70 percent white meat and 30 percent dark meat.
- The five most popular ways to serve leftover turkey is as a sandwich, in stew, chili or soup, casseroles and as a burger.
- Turkey has more protein than chicken or beef.
How to Cook a Delicious Thanksgiving Turkey
- Prepare the turkey for roasting in the oven, first remove the giblets (and save for gravy or stuffing). Next, rinse the bird inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
- If you are stuffing the bird, stuff it loosely, allowing about ½ to ¾ cup stuffing per pound of turkey.
- Brush the skin with melted butter or oil. Tie drumsticks together with string (for stuffed birds only).
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. The thermometer should point towards the body, and should not touch the bone.
- Place the bird on a rack in a roasting pan, and into a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven. To determine how long to cook a turkey, use this chart to estimate the time required for baking.
- Bake until the skin is a light golden color, and then cover loosely with a foil tent. During the last 45 minutes of baking, remove the foil tent to brown the skin. Basting is not necessary, but helps promote even browning.