Category Archives: College Sports
We are getting down to crunch time now as the first of several power rankings will come out on 10/28 giving us an indication where the panel is leaning towards for our first “playoff” in college football. I am sure that there will be a lot of controversy when we see what the Top 4 teams look like but the reality is, there is a ton of football to be played. Let the season play out! Let the top teams beat up on each other and teams will eliminate themselves, it’s that simple. Right now, if the season were to end today, my Final Four is FSU, 2 teams from the SEC (WEST), and Notre Dame. It’s not that complicated. However, as I said earlier, many of these teams have to play each other and they will knock themselves out of the hunt. The SEC haters out there can’t fathom 2 or 3 teams from the SEC in the Final Four, but that is just your blindness to the fact that the SEC, in particular the West this year, is SUPERIOR to all other teams out there. This is a down year for the ACC and FSU is struggling. Oklahoma was the preseason #1 and they already have 2 losses. The Big 12 will now start beating up on each other and their conference champion will have 2 losses. The PAC 12 was supposed to be the premier conference this year. UCLA was the media darling and they have 2 losses ( should have 1 or 2 more ). What has happened to the Stanford machine? Oregon may still be the best team in the conference but how can you give up 41 points to Cal and expect to be a Final Four contender? And then there is the Big 10. A conference that screams for respect but gets none and deserves none. I think America is finally catching on and realizing that this is a dinosaur conference. Michigan State goes on the road and loses it’s chance for national recognition versus Oregon. Ohio State loses it’s only non conference game of significance against an awful Virginia Tech team. You only have to ask yourself this one question. What would Oregon, FSU, Ohio State, or Michigan State do if they played in the SEC? Would they be 6-6? Would they be 7-5? Would they even be talked about nationally? Put Georgia in any conference in America and they would be undefeated ( as long as they didn’t have to play South Carolina ). Put Mississippi or Mississippi State in any other conference in the country and they would be undefeated – oops – they are in the SEC West and are still undefeated!! How about Alabama? I guarantee they would be undefeated in any other conference. Trust me, LSU or Arkansas would at WORST be 6-1 in any other conference. Think Texas A&M would be a 3 loss team in the ACC? Or the Big 10? A To Z On Sports is the VOR – Voice Of Reason when it comes to college football!
Let’s break down the schedules of the contenders ( and pretenders ) to see who has the best shot to reach the Final Four:
- FSU – @ Louisville, H vs. Virginia, @ “The U”, H vs. Boston College, and H vs. Florida. Put it in the books…they are in with that cream puff schedule…unless Jameis gets…you can fill in the blanks here
- Mississippi – @ LSU, H vs. Auburn, H vs. PC, @ Arkansas, H versus Mississippi State. Win ‘em all and you are in! Lose just 1, and you still have a chance. This is what I mean by the current top teams having to knock each other off down the stretch.
- Mississippi State - @ Kentucky, H vs. Arkansas, H vs. Tennessee, @ ‘Bama, H versus Vanderbilt, @ Ole Miss. Holy cow! Win all of these games and you lock down the #1 seed for the Final Four. Lose 1 and you should still get in. How HUGE could that final game of the year, the Egg Bowl versus Mississippi be? What would Oregon, Ohio State, and Michigan State do with a schedule like that?
- Alabama - @ Tennessee, @ LSU, H vs. Mississippi State, H vs. Western Carolina, H vs. Auburn. No question, win against that type of schedule, and you surely deserve to be in! Lose 1 and it will be up to the committee!
- Notre Dame - @ Navy, @ Arizona State, H versus Northwestern, H vs. Louisville, @ USC. With their schedule already, if the Irish can win out, there is no doubt they will be in. Everyone knows that they should have beaten the convicts if not for a questionable “home” call.
- Georgia - Florida ( neutral site ) in the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, @ Kentucky, H vs. Auburn, H vs. Charleston Southern, H vs. Georgia Tech. Thanks to South Carolina’s inability to hold a lead, they should be a cruise to the SEC East title and a shot for the SEC crown. If Georgia runs the table, it will be hard to keep them out of the Final Four!
- Auburn – H vs. South Carolina, @ Ole Miss, H vs. Texas A&M, @ Georgia, H vs. Samford, @ Alabama. Are you freaking kidding me? If they win out, they should be the #1 team in the country!!
- Oregon – H vs. Stanford, @ Utah, H vs. Colorado, @ Oregon State. Win out and they still may be on the outside looking in. If any of the SEC teams ahead of them falter, they may sneak in. If I were them, I would be scared to death of going to Utah!!
- Michigan State - The face of the Big 10. H vs. Meechigan, H vs. Ohio State, @ Maryland, H vs. Rutgers, @ Penn State. The winner of the MSU versus OSU game may still be in the race, the loser is definitely out. The weakness of the Big 10 as well as their soft non conference schedules will ultimately be their downfall.
- Ohio State - @ Penn State, H vs. Illinois, @ Michigan State, @ Minnesota, H vs. Indiana, H vs. Meechigan. See note above. Their debacle against Va. Tech looks worse week by week!
- Kansas State - H vs. Texas, H vs. Oklahoma State, @ TCU, @ West Virginia, H vs. Kansas, @ Baylor. Although they are on the outside looking in, if they were to win out and the Big Boys ahead of them all knock each other out, the Wildcats could edge their way in. If not for their turnovers vs. Auburn, they could be undefeated with a GREAT shot at playing in the Final Four.
- TCU - H vs. Texas Tech, @ West Virginia, H vs. Kansas State, @ Kansas, @ Texas, H vs. Iowa State. If not poor a poor decision by their coaching staff against Baylor, they could still be undefeated and knocking on the Final Four door! The Kansas State game will determine not only the Big 12 championship, but also if anyone from that conference has a Final Four chance.
- Baylor - H vs. Kansas, @ Oklahoma, H vs. Oklahoma State, @ Texas Tech, H vs. Kansas State. They had a shot, but losing at West Virginia will cost them any hope of a Final Four birth. Even if they win out, it may not be enough. In a weird way, West Virginia controls who will win the Big 12. They already beat Baylor and can end the dreams of both TCU and Kansas State!
So there you have it. The contenders and the pretenders for our first ever National Championship playoff. Like I said, there is a lot of football to be played. Hang on for the ride, kick back, and watch it all play out.
Posted By A To Z On Sports
So often we have, on paper at least, great match ups between 2 powerful teams. The hype and build up during the week is almost non-stop and the game turns out to be a dud or a blowout.
The potential was there once again as the Fighting Irish and Florida State Seminoles met for a #2 versus a #5 battle to see who stays in the playoff hunt and who may exit the race. It not only lived up the billing but exceeded it! No doubt, it is an ESPN Classic. Let’s be honest, you either LOVE ND or you HATE ND, there is no middle ground. I talked with so many ND haters this week and to a person, they were all pulling for the Irish. Everyone is so sick and tired of the garbage surrounding FSU’s QB situation. If you or I were accused of sexual misconduct, stealing crab legs, getting paid for autograph signings, or violating the schools conduct policy, we would be locked up and never see the light of day again! Apparently, not at FSU and especially if your name is Jameis Winston.
After last weeks tumultuous weekend, did you ever think it could get any zanier?
Although Week 7 didn’t have the volume of upsets, there was still a lot of movement in the Top 25 and a handful of upsets, near upsets, and wild finishes. Made field goals at the buzzer, missed field goals at the buzzer, questionable calls late in the games, dropped passes in the end zone (that would have won games), bone jarring hits, and a big sigh of relief for others.
Sadly, the week was marred by legal problems. It all started with Florida QB Treon Harris being accused of sexual assault after the Gators big win in Tennessee. Since then, the charges have been dropped and Harris will likely be the starting QB the next time Florida takes the field.
Tyler Knight….Single, Call Me Katy!
Katy Perry may not score a touchdown with her quarterback crush Trevor Knight….but when push comes to shove….his older brother Tyler has no problem being a rebound off the goal post.
Perry made it known yesterday on ESPN’s College Gameday Show yesterday at Ole Miss….that she has a “thing” for the Sooners quarterback. Unfortunately….he’s taken. He has a twin brother Connor…Unfortunately, he’s taken too…..However…there’s Tyler! Fortunately…he’s single and has no problem playing second string receiver and is willing to catch any sparks that the “Fireworks” singer might throw in his brothers direction !
Tyler, 23, openly admits that he’s the “black sheep” of the family and since Perry sings about “Dark Horses” this may be her chance to “Roar, Unconditionally” with “One of the boys.” He might not be her “Teenage Dream” but he can be her Knight in Shining Armor.” and when they reach their “Double Rainbow,” she can rest assure that they she will no longer have to say “I kissed a girl and I liked it!”
At the end of the day…it will be Trevor standing into the end zone singing “The One that Got Away.”