Tag Archives: NBA
Atlanta Hawks owner Bruce Levenson has announced he’s selling the team and admits that he sent out an email which to many may seem racist.
Levenson has been upfront and honest about the content in the email he sent admits he sent the email to team execs back in 2012. In the email, he urged them to get more suburban white fans at games. He also included a detailed list which included all the issues he felt were a factor with the teams current fan base. His list included the following:
♦ It’s 70 pct black.
♦The cheerleaders are black.
♦ The music is hip hop.
♦At the bars it’s 90 pct black.
♦ There are few fathers and sons at the games.
♦The concerts [after games] are either hip hop or gospel.
Levenson added … “My theory is that the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a significant season ticket base.” He also complained that he’s told team execs, “I want some white cheerleaders … I have even bitched that the kiss cam is too black.”
According to sources…NBA Commissioner Adam Silver received notification and a copy of the email from Levenson in July. Approximately two months after Donald Sterling was banned. He immediately informed the league of his intent to sell the team.
Levenson apologized to fans in a statement, saying … “If you’re angry about what I wrote, you should be. I’m angry at myself too.”
STEVE KOONIN OFFICIAL STATEMENT To the City of Atlanta and Hawks Fans
NBA COMMISSIONER ADAM SILVER STATEMENT REGARDING ATLANTA HAWKS OWNER BRUCE LEVENSON Read it Here
Becky Hammon, WNBA star has been fired for the position of assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs.
On Tuesday, the NBA franchise announced that Hammon who plans to retire after 16 seasons in the WNBA, the San Antonio Stars, will become the second female coach to be hired for a position in the NBA.
Lisa Boyer, is the first female coach in the NBA. She served on John Lucas’s staff in Cleveland in 2001-02.
Hammon spent some time around the Spurs during last season’s run to the championship, and coach Gregg Popovich says she made a strong impression.
“I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said in a statement. “Having observed her working with our team this past season, I’m confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs.”
Becky Hammon WNBA, College and Coaching Career TRIVIA:
- Becky Hammon’s prolific scoring for the Colorado State Rams made her an All-American as well as Colorado Sportswoman of the Year.
- On August 5, 2014, Becky Hammon was hired as an assistant coach for the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs.
- Becky Hammon was undrafted during her rookie season.
- Becky Hammon was signed to the WNBA on May 12, 1999 and joined the New York Liberty.
- Becky Hammon had a solid rookie season statistically, backing up starting point guard Teresa Weatherspoon. Her aggressive play at both ends of the court made her a favorite among Liberty fans.
- After the 2003 season, Becky Hammon took over for Weatherspoon as the Liberty’s starting point guard and, with Vickie Johnson and Crystal Robinson, became one of the team’s co-captains in 2004.
- In her first season in 2003 with the Tennessee Fury of the National Women’s Basketball League (NWBL), Becky Hammon led the league in scoring, averaging 20.6 points per game.
NBA star Tony Parker and his longtime girlfriend Axelle Francine have secretly tied the knot.
Parker, who just signed a three year $45 million dollar contract with the San Antonio Spurs and his French Journalist bride, were married in a small exclusive ceremony. In attendance were close friends and family.
Parker, 32, and Francine have been dating since 2011. They have one son who was born in April.
Parker was married to actress Eva Longoria from 2007–2011
Related from the Web:
Tony Parker Trivia
- Tony Parker has his look-alike puppet in the French show Les guignols de l’info (1988).
- Tony Parker was born in Belgium, raised in France
- Tony Parker is fluent in English and French.
- Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs in 2001.
- Played in the NBA All-Star Game in 2006.
Austin, who had been projected as a late first-round pick, underwent a standard physical at the NBA combine where his EKG test revealed an abnormality. After undergoing further genetic testing, the results came back positive for Marfan syndrome.
The recommendation was that Austin quit playing basketball immediately.